CALLING ALL PARENTS
Be Your Child’s Healthy Smile Hero
All children should have access to high-quality dental care and a network of trusted dentists. Help your child build a lifetime of healthy habits!
- DO teach healthy hygiene habits early! Start to care for little teeth before they even emerge by wiping gums twice a day.
- DO help brush your child’s teeth with a small amount of fluoride toothpaste twice a day until they have good brushing skills.
- DO keep a running list of all child’s oral and health history.
- DO supervise kids younger than 8 while brushing.
- DO ask your dentist or hygienist for additional tips caring for your child’s teeth!
- DON’T create unhealthy eating habits by regularly giving sugary treats or candies. Introduce your kids to healthy foods!
- DON’T pass your fears of going to the dentist onto your kids. Many Americans are fearful of the dentist, which prevents regular check-ups and proper care.
- DON’T delay visits to your dentist! We recommend children go to the dentist by their first birthday.
- DON’T punish or get discouraged if kids miss a day. Scolding your child for poor brushing habits could create negative associations with toothbrushing.
TRUSTED DENTISTS FOR YOUR CHILD
Dental Resource Directory
Need help finding dental care for your child? Our Access to Care Grants support dentist-led clinics providing dental care for families in need.
Don’t see a location near you? Check again soon. This list is updated frequently.
AAPD Foundation FAQs
We are dedicated exclusively to kids! Thanks to our connection with the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, our child dental experts make us the largest national dentist-led charity for kids’ oral health.